minha vida no brasil

A Seattle Girl going to Brasil to understand more fully what it means to be a Brasilian girl. This is where I will document my journey.

Monday, June 12, 2006

i REALLY like Ijui

So its been 3 days now, and I really really like it here. Sure, I´m hanging out with my 69 year old aunt all the time (I found out that her 70th birthday is next month), but as long as I get used to waking up early with her and going to bed early with her I think it will be just fine.

Yesterday we spent most of the day doing church activities. Her church is small, they have an african pastor which is fun seeing how there are only about 4 black people in the church, him and his two kids being three of them (his wife is white). But it was fun being around the church community, praying, singing, meeting people.

I met up with Eduardo again, the guy that we met last time who owns an english school here. He is my official connection to the internet and a break from speaking portuguese. He asked me to come in and chat with some of his students and I´m gladly taking him up on his offer. Its fun to have people here outside of my family that I know I can hang out with and have friends... much better than in porto belo where my only friends are really Jorge, Vania, Dona Zilda, and Marcos...

Lastly, I´m going to start volunteering at a special needs school 3 afternoons a week with the 5-6 year olds. There are only 7 in the class and i´m basically going to be the teacher´s side kick. I think its going to be really fun. They want me to help out with activities and make up some of my own. I have some ideas, but I want to wait to see how class is structured before I come in with my own notions.

Anyways, that´s it. Just watching the world cup, enjoying my new city, tia, and other people around. I´m really excited for the soccer game (Brasil vs. Croatia) tomorrow. Officially not rooting for USA anymore now that they lost 3-0 to the Czech Republic... and always rooting against Argentina. Life couldn´t get much better!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ana:
Sure sounds like Ijui is your kind of place. Love you,
mom

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home