minha vida no brasil

A Seattle Girl going to Brasil to understand more fully what it means to be a Brasilian girl. This is where I will document my journey.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

weighing my options...

These past two days have been lazy, but productive simultaneously. Last night I went with Vânia to her evening class, to which I will be teaching english, and observed how it is run. It was a fun class, there were only about 8 students there, but there are actually 16 signed up for the class. The group is a mix, age range of mid-20s to the eldest being 54, and they are all very nice and were very patient with me as I tried to converse with them. Although I’m taking the night off from going again with Vânia, I will probably make a habit of it 2-3 times a week.

This morning Vânia and I went to meet with the director of the school since I have to go through her to teach, and, while we were there, she basically gave me the liberty to teach as many kids as I want as often as I want also. Its an exciting opportunity, but I really feel like I don´t really know what i´m getting myself into.

I’m technically supposed to work out of this book that is a part of their curriculum that has english lessons in it, but I think that the lessons are really not very complete. Not like I expect the students to be fluent with me automatically, but I would expect you to teach students how to say “good night” in the same lesson as “good morning” and “good aftenoon” for example, but then again, its not like many americans really going around to everyone saying “good afternoon so and so”. Basically I don’t know what I should do, and if teaching these lessons is what is for me, since speaking english is a huge commodity around here... then I should do it, but I feel like I need a little more guidance than that.

Also to think about is the fact that I don’t think I see myself hanging out around here the whole time. I love the beach, but I really think that Ijui has more for me. Although, on the other hand, I don’t want to be selfish and go to Ijui just because it would be easier. Obviously the easy road isn’t what we are generally called to do, and although I may have a very major place in Ijui I don’t want to choose it as an easy way out.

When we met with the director of the school, Vânia also mentioned to her that I would like to find someone to help me with portuguese, so if one is located, then it may be harder and harder for me to pull myself away. I mentioned that to Vânia, and she basically said that people would love to have me for as little or as much as possible. I just feel that its a hard call to make.

I would really appreciate a bit of prayer for all of this. I feel a pull away from the beach, but more reasons to stay are arising. And Vânia told me today that we would go to church together on Sunday, so there is one more thing... I do feel like my being here is great spiritually for her... she doesn’t get to recognize God’s presence in her life in her normal day-to-day life... Jorge and Marcos are no help to her, and I feel a very strong spiritual connection that I don’t want to fade right now.

I want to make the right choice: one that is both good for me and also beneficial to those around me. The right choice isn’t the one that is going to be easiest for me necessarily, nor is it necessarily the hard way option either. I hope that throughout my day, as I´m reading, praying, thinking, walking along the beach, God would somehow speak to me... in a booming thunder or a still small voice... either way though, I want it to be clear so I can be sure that I’m picking the right path.

Thanks you guys...
Beijos e abraços

Ana (giving up on the running tally of my weight, no scale is to be found here. Craving: Peanut Butter, 5 bug bites, one on my forehead, 79 degrees)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ana, you will definately be in my prayers. Hopefully it all goes well. Either way Im sure you will have an adventure.
ps. The best way to learn tenses is to just try it. Just screw it up and people will correct you.
love
Heather

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home