minha vida no brasil

A Seattle Girl going to Brasil to understand more fully what it means to be a Brasilian girl. This is where I will document my journey.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

an anecdote...

I forgot to write this in my post yesterday. You know how when you are little and are playing on an escalator, your mom generally will tell you "don´t goof off, you´ll fall and your hair will get caught and you´ll get hurt?" well, maybe it was just my mom, or the fact that I had long hair, but anyways, when I was in the airport in Sao Paulo I overheard the Brazilian equivalent. I was behind a mom and her little girl on the escalator as the little girl put her hand up against the side of it and let it slide by. Her mom told her " stop it, you´ll become like Aleijadinho." well, the reason that this is funny, is that Aleijadinho is one of the most famous artists in Brazil, mostly famous for the fact that he had a medical condition that prevented him from using his hands (I think it was leprosy). He created his work by having people strap tools to his wrists. Anyways, I thought it was entertaining to hear the rationale that Brasilians have for things...

Today has been kinda slow, went shopping in the morning and then had a barbeque for lunch and now i've just been watching american movies with portuguese subtitles for the last few hours. Its actually a pretty good way to learn words, and I feel like I´m picking up on it alright, although I still regularly get confused. I´m going to try to get the ball rolling on getting a portuguese tutor maybe tomorrow. oh, and also nice: all of the vegetables that we eat here my uncle grows in the back yard... so although i´m eatting like crazy, at least there´s no pesticides :)

-Ana (0kg, 1 bug bite, 77 degrees F)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home