minha vida no brasil

A Seattle Girl going to Brasil to understand more fully what it means to be a Brasilian girl. This is where I will document my journey.

Monday, April 10, 2006

miracles already...

I guess the best way to start this, my first post from Brasil is to say that I made it safe and sound. My flights were long, and at first, the possibility of not making my flight to Chigaco made me incredibly anxious.
Since I was flying standby, I only would get a seat on the plane if there was enough space for me. I was waiting and waiting and waiting... the lady at the check in counter said that the flight was overbooked by 8 people and there was only one extra spot in first class. As I waited at the terminal, the stewardesses were constantly saying to be patient because this is a booked flight. I started to feel a little overwhelmed, wondering if I was going to have to go through my goodbyes all over again, somewhat anticipating my own bed, but knowing that it would be an incredible hassle to have to rearrange flight times and so much more. Finally, as most of the passengers for the flight were already on the plane, my name was called. I go up to the stewardess and ask, in a questioning tone: `Did I make the flight?´and she says, -Its a miracle, but yes, you did make the flight. There was only one place open, and you´re it.
I was in the absolute last row in the plane, but at this point the fact that I was going to make it to Brasil was enough to make me SO thankful. And I got to sit next to two interesting people: one whose best friend´s daughter had a cerebral hemorrage and was telling me all about her recover and the other has a son who is going into Physical Therapy. Those two facts alone kept the conversation going for some time and before we knew it we were in Chicago.
The flight to Sao Paulo was uneventful. I didn´t get first class on this flight either (like I was assured I would) but I did get a second seat next to me, I was able to stretch out a little and sleep well enough that I haven´t napped since my plane rolled in a few hours ago.
To get to Florianopolis I had to take a bus across town to the other airport and one thing struck me - hard. I was noticing that just looking either direction from the windows on the bus it was hard to tell if you were in the slums or a nice city. on the one side poverty was just spilling from every building, on the other nicely trimmed lawns and buildings. It was such a stark contrast, its hard to imagine that there haven´t been efforts to conform it to some extent.
My last leg of the trip was fun too. I met a man who is an argentinian living in brasil who also spoke great english. He´s the president of a major ´pump company´here he said that they put in the pump that makes water pressure good. He seemed nice and said that if I find myself in trouble when I´m traveling around to give him a call and he could help me out.
As far as Porto Belo where I currently reside, its nicer than I remember it being, and I have a decent room with a double bed, a bookshelf and a dresser with a mirror on it. I think it will make for a good escape if I need to get away for some quiet. Tomorrow Jorge and Vania (my uncle and aunt) are going to take me shopping in the morning so I can get things I need and probably things I don´t. This weekend we go to Ponta Grossa where more family live to celebrate easter. It looks like finding a church around here will have to wait, but at least I get to see this part of my family, which I´m really excited about.

oh, a funny thing my uncle told me that is worth noting, at least for a laugh. We were talking politics on the way home about how crappy american government is. He mentioned that he really liked Clinton minus his affair with Monica Chupinsky. I said, don´t you mean Lewinsky? and he says no, Chupinsky. Chupar in portuguese means to suck. get it? Chupinsky? hahaha... anyways, I´ll update again in a few days.

-Ana (0 kg, 1 bug bite, 25 degrees C)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeana said...

Bahahaha! 0kg! We'll see after a few good Brasilian meals =D

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home